- Created in 1972, the Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve is one of the most famous in the world.
- In 2007, it was chosen as one Costa Rica’s 7 Wonders.
- In this forest we can find four ecological “Live Zones” that harbor different ecosystems for hundreds of species of mammals, birds, butterflies, amphibians, reptiles, insects and arachnids; a variety of mosses, vines, other plants, and typical trees of the Cloud Forest.
- Enjoy a nature tour through the renowned Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve where a local professional naturalist guide will show and give you explanations concerning all the different macro/micro flora and fauna.
- Visit the Golden Toad’s unique habitat; see birds like the resplendent quetzal (the most beautiful bird of the Americas), the three-wattled Bell Bird, and the Black Faced Solitaire.
- Trees like Strangler Figs, Avocados, and Cecropias as well as epiphytes like Bromeliads, Orchids, and Mosses are common. A wide array of insects, mammals, and reptiles can also be spotted.
- The Monteverde One Day Tour gives you the chance to enjoy four of Selvatura Park’s attractions in one go: the Tree Top Walkways, the Butterfly Garden, the Insect Museum, and the Reptile/Amphibian Exhibit.
- Tree Top Walkways – Selvatura’s Tree Top Walkways consist of a 3kms/1.9 mile trail that crosses the Monteverde Cloud Forest.
- The Tree Top Walkways can be enjoyed by people of all ages and physical conditions. Most of the trail is flat, while climbs are short. The trail is circular so visitors will not get lost and may walk at their own rhythm. The surface of the trail has been covered with special walking blocks that provide enhanced traction and a uniform terrain to walk along. Visitors will appreciate a wide variety of flora and fauna while enjoying and observing the different levels of the cloud forest canopy and its biodiversity, which is unique in the world.
- Butterfly Garden – Selvatura Park offers one of the largest butterfly gardens in the Americas. It is located within a domed structure that is 91mts/300ft. long, 27mts/90 ft. wide, and 15mts/50ft. high; it is covered by a special acrylic and metallic ceiling, which helps control the temperature within. This allows the garden to harbour more than 30 different species of butterflies from different altitudes and climates found throughout Costa Rica.
- Insect Museum – Selvatura’s insect museum features biologist Richard Whitten’s world class educational exhibit “Jewels of the Rain Forest”. It is one of the largest private insect exhibitions in the world, presenting a combination of natural history and art in a unique format. The exhibit inspires visitors to appreciate these wondrous creatures from a completely different perspective than what is usually encountered.
- Reptile & Amphibian Exhibit – you will visit the Herpetarium, a reptile and amphibian exhibition, where you will be able to see some of the most beautiful live specimens of lizards, snakes, and frogs rescued and gathered from all over Costa Rica.
Transportation, lunch, and bilingual guide
Tennis shoes or hiking shoes, t-shirt and shorts or trousers, camera, binoculars, jacket, insect repellent, raincoat, and an extra change of clothes.
What if it rains?
The tour takes place in any weather unless there is lightening storm or it is extremely windy. Please bring rain gear… It is an amazing forest!