The Lodge has 68 acres of tropical rainforest, within which it has trails for you to enjoy. There is a great variety of flora and fauna; currently, there are more than 410 species of birds identified, including the Great Green Macaw (Ara ambiguus) and Scarlet Macaw (Ara Macao).
El “Paso de la Lapa” (“Macaw Crossing”), is a lovely restaurant that offers an opportunity to enjoy delicious dishes in a cozy environment, full of the natural beauty provided by the panoramic view of the mountains and lagoons that surround the Lodge
– Some of the birds that you may see at Maquenque Lodge are:
- Great green macaw (Ara ambigua) The world population is about 7.000 specimens.
- Agami Heron /chesnut-bellied heron(Agamia agami)
- Muscovy Duck (Cairina moschata)
- Great Curassow (Crax rubra)
- Jabiru (Jabiru mycteria)
- Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja)
- Green Ibis (Mesembrinibis cayennensis)
- Sunbittern (Eurypyga helias)
– Even in the sunny season it might be rainy.
– Photography is fantastic in Maquenque Lodge.
- Parking lot
- Laundry service
All rooms include:
- Full breakfast served in our restaurant
- Guided morning walk through the rainforest
- Canoeing in the lagoon
- Visit to the local school of Boca Tapada, guided by a student
- Plant a tree in the Maquenque rainforest to support sustainable tourism in Costa Rica
The Certification for Sustainable Tourism Program – CST – is a product of the Costa Rican Tourism Board and it is regulated by the Costa Rican National Accreditation Commission. The certification is based on an accreditation of a scale of 5 “levels” of sustainable tourism achievement.
CST gives you reliable information regarding companies that make efforts to improve their management and operations to offer a sustainable product. It is also a good tool to differentiate those companies that are truly engaged with sustainable practices, from others that claim to be sustainable but are inconsistent in their actions.
The range of prices scale is based on the following criteria:
$ Refers to Budget accommodation: ranging from $70-100
$$ Medium: $100 – 150
$$$ Upscale: $150 – 200
$$$$ Premium: $200+
These measures are meant to be used as a reference only and they are calculated on double occupancy, standard room, quoted in U.S. Dollars and include a 13% sales tax; on both high and low seasons.
You can always refer to these prices as selection criteria.