Heliconias Lodge and Rainforest has developed as an ambitious project proudly owned and operated by a group of ten determined local families.
Heliconias Lodge and Rainforest are pioneers in ecotourism in the Northern Region of Costa Rica (in the zone of Bijagua Upala between Volcan Tenorio and Miravalles).
- Construction materials for many buildings are recycled and have been sourced locally.
- Heliconias Lodge and Rainforest actively engages in recycling tourist and internal waste.
- Tourists are encouraged to offset their carbon emissions by plating trees with the local youth cooperative COOPEJUBI.
- The private reserve is managed and maintained to ensure no hunting or tree felling takes place.
- Sustainability (social, economic and environmental) guides all management decisions.
- Heliconias Lodge and Rainforest has connections with the National Institute of Biodiversity (InBio), the Ministry of Environment and Energy (MINAE), The Volcano Miravalles and Tenorio Biological Corridor (FUNDESTEMI), Arenal Conservation Area (ACA) and Tenorio Volcano National Park.
A restaurant, bar, free parking, amazing and unique views, great birding and groomed trails with hanging bridges and a conference center.
Presently, this hotel is in the process of implementing the CST (Certification for Sustainable Tourism in Costa Rica)
The Certification for Sustainable Tourism Program – CST – is a product of the Costa Rican Tourism Board and it is regulated by the Costa Rican National Accreditation Commission. The certification is based on an accreditation of a scale of 5 “levels” of sustainable tourism achievement.
CST gives you reliable information regarding companies that make efforts to improve their management and operations to offer a sustainable product. It is also a good tool to differentiate those companies that are truly engaged with sustainable practices, from others that claim to be sustainable but are inconsistent in their actions.
The range of prices scale is based on the following criteria:
$ Refers to Budget accommodation: ranging from $70-100
$$ Medium: $100 – 150
$$$ Upscale: $150 – 200
$$$$ Premium: $200+
These measures are meant to be used as a reference only and they are calculated on double occupancy, standard room, quoted in U.S. Dollars and include a 13% sales tax; on both high and low seasons.
You can always refer to these prices as selection criteria.