Vacation with children, as I’ve written previously (Traveling with children…14 tips from a traveling mother) is a very exhausting yet satisfying treat for the parents.
And probably one of the things you learn after time, is that to avoid stress and let downs in the trip, the best idea is to plan it with someone who knows. A consultant that is there to warn you, to tell you and to prevent mistakes, and of course, once on the trip to have a whole team supporting you… “Just in case…” (Three words that us, mothers, use very frequently).
This itinerary is very balanced for the whole family to have fun, learning and relaxation. the traveling days are shorter, and the attractions are planned in a way that everyone gets a bit of everything.
It starts staying in San José, our capital city Never mind at what time you get to Costa Rica… You want your family to simply get acquainted with the fact that you are in a different country, with a different language and different food. This is where you want to be close to a pharmacy and check on the allergies and food intolerances.
Highlights of day 1:
Even though I can tell you several highlights of the city like museums and architectural and cultural treats, for us parents, the best of it at the beginning is a good amount of pharmacies and supermarkets in order to get what we need (And maybe forgot) for the trip.
On the second day your guide will pick you up in the hotel and take you through some of the most picturesque routes in Costa Rica and into a family compulsory rainforest thematic park: The Waterfalls Garden.
Hightlights of day 2:
1. A huge aviary where the most colorful birds fly around your family (Including, yes! The colorful keel-billed toucan!
2. An also huge butterlies garden, with a most fantastic amount of colorful butterlies flying around an enclosed garden for your children’s fun and learning.
3. A rescue center where animals get to be really close.
4. A frog pond to see tiny red blue jeans frogs and of course the super famous red eyed frog.
5. A walk through the rainforest discovering one waterfall to the next and taking pictures from behind and from the front.
For the children this is a great right foot start to get them really excited about what is to come.
[justified_image_grid preset=1 ids=39624,41460,41461,233,41462 title_field=off caption_field=off caption=off mobile_caption=off show_text_before=no show_text_after=no orderby=rand width_mode=responsive_fallback last_row=hide]
(B,L) Caribbean Rain Forest Aerial Tram, where you and your children will experience the rainforest from the treetops! Afternoon at leisure at the lodge in Sarapiquí.
HIghlights of Day 3
You cannot imagine what it is to be on the rainforest aerial tram until you experience it, going on top of the tress and inside the canopy at a very slow motion flight watching birds, monkeys and this amazing landscape is a hard task for those of us who have to describe it.
1. The aerial tram itself. It’s a gondola for six people where your family will sit comfortably for an hour and 20 minutes and cover a distance of 2.6 kilometers through the treetops of the primary rainforest.
2. Your family will learn and discover the canopy of the forest, home to the majority of rainforest flora and fauna.
3. Be part of our conservation efforts by learning how to protect natural resources with our guide’s experience and knowledge.
4. Have your children fall in love and grow in respect of life itself.
That night you will be at one of Sarapiqui’s most exciting rainforest lodges.
(B) You will visit the Tirimbina Rainforest Reserve nature history walk and Chocolate tour. Rest of the day at leisure.
[justified_image_grid ids=36731,36730,37787,36733 caption=off mobile_caption=off last_row=hide]
Highlights of Day 4:
1. Go through the rainforest and discover a cocoa plantation the way they used to be in the precolumbian times.
2. Learn and discover all that you need to know about the manufacturing fo real cocoa.
3. Have the children taste most organic chocolate that there is.
4. Walk through a gorgeous rainforest and life system different from the previous ones.
5. Have a free afternoon, to simply take it easy, play some family games or rest for a while.
(B,D) Transfer to the Arenal Volcano area. Visit to the Hot Springs.
[justified_image_grid ids=39040,36384,33749 title_field=off caption_field=off caption=off mobile_caption=off]
Highlights of Day 5:
1. The traveling from one area to the other is done through a very varied landscape with chances to see sloths, toucans and iguanas.
2. The Arenal Volcano itself is a massive amazing landscape, children can relate to (As it is the typical conic sort of volcano).
3. The Hot Springs. The baths are a series of different pools at different temperatures where the whole family will have a blast.
4. The area itself, full of colorful birds and fortunate wildlife sightings.
(B) Rainforest Hanging Bridges. Afternoon at your leisure to explore the region.
Highlights of Day 6
1. Feel like Indiana Jones and/or Lara Croft going across very high (very safe) hanging bridges… Yes they move, and no, you can’t jump on them.
2. See the forest (Again) from a high perspective. Although here you can stop and see as much as you can.
3. Have your tour guide show you this life system, different from previous ones.
4. Enjoy one of the most iconic views of the volcano.
5. Enjoy an afternoon at leisure or pick one of the optional activities of the area.
(B) Transfer to the Central Pacific coast. Afternoon at your leisure to enjoy the facilities offered at the hotel and the splendid white sandy beaches.
1. The beach! (Is there any higher highlight than the beach itself?)
2. The Costa Rican Pacific Ocean calmed warm waters.
3. The white sand where children can play and you can simply relax.
(B) Early transfer to the international airport.